I feel so blessed to be able to use exclusively cloth diapers with baby number three. It may sound silly to some, but I love the fact that I don’t have to add disposable diapers and wipes to our regular shopping list! We’ve saved so much money already. Not to mention elimination communication goes way smoother with cloth! We keep a mini potty (see it there in the left hand corner?) right by the changing table and I rarely have to change a stinky diaper. I prefer to catch it!
With Raspberry Bug we used cloth training pants and cheap vinyl covers after she learned to walk, but I love that I actually have a “cloth diaper stash” with my new little guy. Most of the diaper stash I started with was given to me by either my sister in law one of my friends from church. The only exception is the Chinese cheapies I got from Ali Express (Qianqunui). I definitely love the one size pocket diapers. They are easier to customize, wash, and dry. One size means that I don’t have to keep buying them.
I was able to make some of my own using the Rita’s Rump Pocket Diaper Pattern.
There are many different types of diaper patterns you can find for free or cheap online, but I never found a need to try another one. I can customize this one however I need to. I made a couple of flannel ones first, which were surprisingly absorbent. I also made some out of the prefold diapers I was given at my baby shower:
These work well with the Thirsties covers my sister in law gave me:
Then I took the same pattern and made a waterproof version with this cute sailboat fabric I had in my stash. I made a waterproof pocket diaper and a waterproof cover:
I made them entirely out of materials I already had. My husband purchased the snap setter for my birthday, and I mimicked the Fuzzi Bunz snaps, because I like them the best. It’s not a separate rise, but a set of three snaps on each size. This way, I can adjust the waist and the leg holes all at the same time.
The waterproof material came from a crib mattress protector that was starting to tear around the edges.
I used the waterproof part for the diaper itself and then I converted the pillow top layer into extra inserts. I also saved the elastic for later projects, so the only thing I didn’t end up using was the thin layer around the sides.
I like that I was able to repurpose something I already had. And I knew it was safe for baby, because it was designed to be used in baby’s bed anyway.